5-6 October 2021 Nur-Sultan is to host XIX Secretariat of the Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions. In particular, on October 5, there will be a meeting of the Working Group of the Secretariat, on October 6 at the Palace of Peace and Reconciliation XIX Session of the Secretariat will be held under the Chairmanship of H.E. Maulen Ashimbayev, Speaker of the Senate, Parliament of Kazakhstan, Head of the Secretariat of the Congress, Delovoy Kazakhstan reports.
The agenda of XIX Secretariat of the Congress covers the following issues:
- Progress in preparations for the VII Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions and the significance of the Congress in the context of post-pandemic development.
- The format and topics of the plenary and breakout sessions of the VII Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in 2022 with the participation of H.E Nursultan Nazarbayev, First President of Kazakhstan, and H.E. Kassym-Zhomart Tokayev, President of Kazakhstan, on resolving global crises in the light of new challenges and global opportunities, as well as defining the role of modern religious leaders in the convergence of cultures, societies and civilizations.
- Criteria for awarding the Astana International Prize for Contribution to Interreligious Dialogue and the Medal of Honor of the Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions.
- Discussion of the draft of the Special document on the outstanding role of the First President of the Republic of Kazakhstan in promoting intercivilizational and interreligious dialogue.
- Determination of the date and place of the XX Session of the Secretariat of the Congress.
Representatives of foreign religious leaders and heads of international centers are expected to attend the XIX meeting of the Secretariat, including the Al-Azhar Academy of Islamic Studies (Egypt), the Islamic World League (Saudi Arabia), the Caucasian Muslims Office (Azerbaijan), the Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Appeal and Instruction (Saudi Arabia), the Islamic Research Institute of the International Islamic University of Islamabad (Pakistan), Ministry of Waqfs of Egypt, Department for External Church Relations of the Moscow Patriarchate of the Russian Orthodox Church, Ukrainian Diocese of the Armenian Apostolic Church, Bureau of Islam of the Pontifical Council of the Holy See for Interreligious Dialogue (Vatican), the Church of England (UK), Lutheran World Federation, Chief Sephardic Rabbi of Israel, Chief Ashkenazi Rabbi of Israel, World Buddhist Community (Thailand), Chinese Buddhist Association, Chinese Taoist Association, Shinto organization «Jinja Honche» (Japan), Program on Interfaith Relations and Mutual Understanding of «Somaya Vidyavihar» University (India), UN Alliance of Civilizations (USA), Muslim Council of Elders (UAE) and others.
Complete list of participants of the XIX Session of the Secretariat to be posted on the website of Nazarbayev Center: religions-congress.org.
The Secretariat of the Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions is the operational body of the Congress, which ensures activities in the intervals between its sessions.
Founded according to the decision of the participants of the First Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions, held on September 23-24, 2003 in Astana.
Head of the Secretariat of the Congress – Chairman of the Senate, Parliament of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The Secretariat includes plenipotentiary representatives of leaders of world and traditional religions from Islam, Christianity (Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism), Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Taoism, Shintoism.
From 2003 to 2021 there were 18 meetings of the Secretariat.
– provides preparation for meetings of the Council and Congresses of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions;
– develops proposals and agenda of the Congress for approval by the Council;
– prepares draft texts of Declarations, Appeals and other final documents adopted by the Council;
– ensures the distribution of draft decisions or other documents to the members of the Council;
– on behalf of the Council, the Head of the Secretariat represents the Congress in its relations with other interreligious forums and organizations.